City of Vaughan
Vaughan Pedestrian and Bicycle Master Plan
Vaughan Transportation Master Plan
Green Directions Vaughan
Additional Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan Scan Update Questions
1. Were there any community groups that were engaged in the development and/implementation of the Plan? If so, what were some of the outcomes of their engagement? And what were some of the lessons learned from the community engagement?
Not community groups, but TRCA, LSRCA, CDSB, a Public Advisory Committee, a Regional Staff Study Steering Committee, a Technical Advisory Committee and a Consultant Team.
2. Has there been any discussion regarding how a Complete Streets Policy may fit in with the goals of the Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan? If so, what steps have been taken in developing a Complete Streets policy?
In the development of the Transportation Master Plan, yes. When the PBMP was developed, Complete Streets was not a term in use.
3. Have you developed any road or trail standards that aim to improve pedestrian and bicycling opportunities and infrastructure? Ex. Road design guidelines that require the inclusion or consideration of active transportation infrastructure? Complete Streets policies, guidelines?
There is an appendix to the PBMP that specifies design guidelines, but cycle facilities have changed in the last 5 years, so now Vaughan will uses the Ontario Traffic Manuals and TAC Guidelines for Canada.
4. What other transportation plans has your jurisdiction developed? Can you tell us a bit about how your jurisdiction has addressed the inter-connectivity between your various transportation plans?
Just the Transportation Master Plan.
5. What staff resources do you have allocated to the implementation of your bicycle and pedestrian plan? How many staff? Overall budget? % of total transportation budget allocated to active transportation?
On-road cycle facilities are implemented by the Development/Transportation Engineering Department. Engineering Services implement sidewalks and multi-use pathways. The Parks Development Department implements trails in parks and work on greenways. The Recreation and Culture Department has taken a lead on cycle-to-school programs. There are many departments working on this so it is hard to identify precise numbers of staff or budget that is being allocated to active transportation.
6. Has your jurisdiction considered aging populations in the bicycle and pedestrian plan and if so what resulted from that consideration?
The TMP notes that Vaughan must provide reliable, safe, affordable transportation for everyone.
7. Has your jurisdiction considered low-powered vehicles (ex. E-bikes)? If so how are they being integrated?
There are signs that state e-bikes cannot be used in parks. There are restrictions on trails.
8. Has your jurisdiction encountered any safety issues such as vandalism? If so how have your addressed them?
9. Is your municipality a Smart Commute employer? If so if and how does that inter-act with the Pedestrian and Bicycle Plans?
Yes. This past spring a report was brought to senior management around energizing the Smart Commute Program. A Bike Champions program was created. There was a clean air commute in June. How cycling can be integrated into the Smart Commute process is currently being debated.
10. Does your municipality have any pedestrian and bicycling certifications? Bike Friendly Community?
Working to implement more cycling facilities first. So not yet.
11. How does your municipality use bikes? ex – Police on bikes, by-laws?
By-law and Compliance Departmant has bikes, York Regional Police also.
12. Has your jurisdictional considered the increasing levels of health concerns (ex. increasing obesity levels among children)? If so what resulted from the consideration? How has this factored into the plan?
As part of plan implementation, yes, liaising closely with York Region Public Health.
13. Is your jurisdiction providing programs regarding the environment and transportation (ex. bike to work/school programs, carpool etc)
14. Any suggestions, for knowledge that would be valuable to you? Information requests? Capacity building? Implementation support? Problem Solving? Community Engagement Strategies?
No. Already scanning other municipalities and their actions vigorously.